Thursday, July 6, 2017

Whole cloth....Chickadee Quilt



Life in the hay fields continues...









As time allows, I have been able to get away 

from the hay fields

to stitch for a few hours in the Thread Shed...




I am working on the 

Chickadee Wholecloth Quilt:


Basic Design Lines.....on tracing paper






At this point all of the basic design lines 

have been stitched...






It is time to stitch the large feather motifs...






Here is a BEFORE image...






Here is an AFTER stitching image...






I am using a layer of wool batting

and a layer of cotton batting






After a couple of hours under the needle...

I had to go back to the hay fields.

I just have the border feathers to go.




Fill Work on tracing paper:


The last thing to stitch is the Fill Work


A few more hours...here and there...

this baby is moving right along!


More to Come!




CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,


LuAnn Kessi

6 comments:

  1. That is gping to be beautiful! Love the photos of the hay field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...really coming along beautifully...interesting...two different battings??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I see the rolled hay I laugh. Here there are smaller rolls and they are covered in white plastic. I told my grandson that those are where marshmallows come from. We had passed a field full of them, and I said, "Look! They've harvested a whole bunch of marshmallows!" His eyes got really big.

    Love that whole cloth 'Chickadee' quilt! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gave me a good chuckle Claudia.....growing marshmallows.....love that! The smaller round bales covered in plastic is silage, which is cut and rolled up green and stuffed in plastic bags to ferment. The cattle love silage.
    Many thanks for your FUN comment,
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. When bailing and stacking is finished, then rains can return again!! Love your Chickadee quilt - I often use wool and cotton battings together since they produce such a wonderful "poof". I once used a wool/poly combo - I think the batting ended up being almost an inch thick and the wall hanging had great texture. Looks like you are quilting following Lisa Calle's "Divide and Design" technique and I can't wait to see this beauty finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It rains nearly 8 months out of the year here in the coastal mountains of Western Oregon, so we are not ready for the rain just yet! We get 130 inches of rain yearly.....to much for my taste. The wool batting really shows off the stitching. Yes, I took Lisa Calle's classes on iQuilt and truly enjoyed them and learned a lot. I am trying to employ some of what I learned. Many thanks for your comments,
    LuAnn in Oregon

    ReplyDelete