Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rust Fabrics Ready to Use...


The Rust Dyed Fabrics have been
Washed, Dried & Ironed

They are yummy soft and gorgeous!

Rust Dyes are 2 sided fabrics.
They look different on the front and the back.
It is like having 2 fabrics in one...


Click Images to Enlarge:


Side 1 is a bit Darker




Side 1 Close-Up View


Flip it over...



Side 2 is Lighter




These are the flat metal strips:


Side 1 is Darker





Side 2 is Lighter





Side 1 of the stove grate
It is a bit darker...





Side 2 of the stove grate
It is a bit lighter, no dark marks

You have your choice of which side to use.





This is such a beautiful color of rust.
I also like the overall pattern that was created.





A favorite piece...
I am drawn to circles and curves





Approx 7 Yards of Rust Dye Fabric...
Ready to put into Quilted Textile Art this winter.

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

CLICK HERE to view the Rust Fabric Slideshow

CLICK HERE to view Rusted Leaf Quilt

CLICK HERE to view the Rusted Cow Pony Quilt



CLICK HERE to view Sun Dyeing

CLICK HERE to view Tutorials

CLICK HERE to view Art Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

11 comments:

  1. OMG! Every time I think you've made the most beautiful fabric, you go and outdo yourself. These are absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,
    Thank you for your nice comments.
    I will sleep better knowing I have a little stash of fun fabrics to work with over the long, wet, Oregon winter.
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. To answer your question about fabric for Rust Dyeing:

    Definitely use a high quality white fabric.

    The muslin is too low of a thread count and I think you will be disappointed with the end results.
    Your fabric will be dry and stiff after rusting a muslin.

    I prefer a White Cotton Sateen, White Egyptian Cotton, White Broadcloth, etc.
    You can find all of these at Joann Fabric or Hancock Fabrics for $4 or $5 per yard.
    They are also available online.

    This is a simple technique that is inexpensive to try.

    Sometimes I get my best rust dyeing results from:

    Old Nails, Screws, bolts, washers......tiny items that we all seem to have in our junk drawers, tool boxes and garage. You don't need big items to get great rusting results.

    Just be sure to use metal items that will rust. (No aluminum or stainless steel)

    If the metal isn't rusty yet.......place the metal in a bucket of salt water for a couple of days, then place it out in the air to dry.......the oxygen plays a big part in the rusting process.

    Then use the rusty item on your fabric.

    I hope you give this a try.

    LuAnn in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI , I have already tried this and the results were stunning !! I was wondering if I need permission from you to post them on my blog ?
    Also have you ever use Markers and alcohol or acrylics and Aloe gel ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. is it safe to use? will you not get tetanus since youre using rust? how long will the rust stay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lavelle,
    If you are concerned about safety, wear gloves to protect your hands. The rust lasts forever, consider it permanent on fabric.
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you so much for the reply :) I really appreciate it. uhmm, do it smells bad ? cause I want to create a clothing line that is made of Rust Fabrics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you so much for the reply :) I really appreciate it. uhmm, do it smells bad ? cause I want to create a clothing line that is made of Rust Fabrics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lavelle,

    You should try out rust dyeing and see if you like the rusted fabric. I have always found it to be soft with no odor. I have lots of tips and hints in my rust dyeing posts:
    http://luannkessi.blogspot.com/search/label/Rust%20Dyeing
    LuAnn Kessi

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you so much for the tips and hints :)

    ReplyDelete